Springfield Missouri and Back to Vicenza
It's hard to remember the details from just 2 weeks ago . . . But I will do my best. :)
When I left Idaho Falls to fly to Springfield, Missouri, the pilot warned us early on that there was the potential for delays ahead. He told us that there was some bad weather surrounding Denver, and that pilots were having to circle for a while in a holding pattern because only so many planes were allowed to land per hour. He reassured us that they had taken on the maximum amount of fuel for just such an occasion, but he hoped we wouldn't need to use it.
We did end up needing to use that extra fuel, and after circling the skies for a bit, we were rerouted to Grand Junction, CO to get more fuel.
This was the map of where we were detoured, courtesy of my movie screen . . .
We were on the ground for about an hour. During the earlier portion of our flight, the seatbelt sign was on the entire time due to turbulence, and not even the cabin crew were allowed to walk up and down the aisles. Once we were on the ground, however, several passengers jumped up to get in a line for the bathroom. I waited a bit, not feeling too urgent, and texted my friend Teddi to say hello from her local airport, ha ha.
As I got in the shorter line at the back of the plane, I overheard one of the flight attendants saying that she was going to make her way through the cabin with her "biohazard bag" to pick up any "biohazardous waste" (aka people's barf bags - from the turbulence). Ewwww. Glad I don't seem to have those kinds of issues anymore, even though I had moderate motion sickness as a child.
Eventually, we were in the air again, although most of us knew we would be missing our connecting flights by the time we actually landed in Denver, including me.
I ended up with a longish layover before my next flight would depart, so I settled down to get a relaxing dinner. I chose to eat at Elway's, a famous restaurant in the Denver Airport, named for the NFL quarterback John Elway. I ordered their chicken, potato, and corn chowder, which was fantastic. They served it with some bacon bits in a spoon on the side.
While I waited for my luggage, I visited with a young man who had grown up in Springfield. He was a wealth of knowledge and directed my attention to a large carousel next to the baggage claim area, filled with all kinds of brochures and pamphlets about fun things to do in the Springfield/Branson areas. I grabbed some of his enthusiastic suggestions, and was able to share them with Hannah the next day. She was delighted to learn more about the region and all the fun family activities that are offered.
After taking a nap ("Round One" of sleep for the night), Jake picked me up at 2:00 a.m. and drove me the 25 minutes back to their home on the opposite side of town. I fell asleep close to 3:00 and slept until 9:30 the next morning. :)
Thursday, July 9th: Jake had taken the day off, so it all worked out reasonably well that I arrived in the middle of the night. We had an easy-peezy morning and afternoon just hanging out at home. I got to read several books to both Jack and Maisie, my mind reeling as usual with the amount of knowledge and information that they both know about insects, underwater creatures, and other animal species. Jack can spout off just about any facts about insects, particularly. And Maisie is quick to chime in by repeating whatever fancy sounding word comes out of Jack's mouth. As if she is doing her best to keep up on the conversation, too, ha ha.
Later that afternoon, we drove to a sports complex across town - mainly for tennis, with full courts both indoors and out. Jack would be participating in his very first tennis lesson! Both Jake and Hannah both played with a tennis team in high school - Jake for just one season, but Hannah stuck with it for several years and loves it to this day. They also both love to play pickleball.
Lucky for us, Jack's tennis lesson would be INDOORS, where it was air-conditioned.
While Jack was running around getting himself fired up for the lesson down below, Maisie hung out with me on the balcony, giggling and saying "Cheese" as I took a little video of her brother. XOXO
Video of Jack below: (7 seconds) https://photos.app.goo.gl/3BPGg4XxhWT2GjWo8
Video of Maisie saying "Cheese": (13 seconds) https://photos.app.goo.gl/nsdEWTujozVcgM3T7
Next to the tennis complex, there is a big playground and park. Even though it was pretty hot outside, we let the kids play for a while. I took a family photo of them inside the beehive - they were now part of the colony, Jack decidedly explained.
Video of the many facial expressions that Maisie can produce in a very short amount of time:
(13 seconds) https://photos.app.goo.gl/CcWCyGNkn41GSFKB8
And here is one of the THE CUTEST videos ever made, with me and Maisie hanging out in the kitchen, talking about "crawkit" (chocolate) among other things. :)
Video of Maisie here: (1 minute, 23 seconds) https://photos.app.goo.gl/dwSdfzzftWtumWrr5
We thought the worst was over, so we headed to one of their favorite parks in Springfield: Sequiota Park. This park has a large cave and several springs that flow throughout. (see sign below for more info)
Video of Jack feeding a June Bug (I believe it was): (15 seconds)
He was happiest while searching for insects in the grass and in the dirt. Maisie was happiest while swinging in the toddler swing. The only issue was - and what we didn't know until later - she had a worse case of hives emerging and the heat didn't help at all. In fact, it made it worse.
We were going to do some wading in the little creek, where Jack and Hannah had been before, but some people there warned us that someone had spotted a poisonous snake in the water nearby. So that ended that.
Around this time, we noticed Maisie saying, "Itchy" and trying to scratch a couple of spots through her clothes. When Hannah lifted up her shirt and peeked down into the back of her diaper, she saw SEVERAL hives all over the place.
We were about to leave anyway - to go meet Jake for lunch at his workplace cafeteria, so we loaded up and drove to the nearest CVS Pharmacy. I stayed in the car with the kids, while Hannah ran inside to get some Benadryl for Miss Maisie. She found a new product instead - Zyrtec Hives Relief (in liquid form). It works for 24 hours, although they didn't give it to her until bedtime that evening.
We picked up Jake outside his building and drove across the road to a work-sponsored health clinic. The hope was that someone could see Maisie and try to figure out what the issue was, but they were an appointment-only facility and didn't have anything available until Monday. Thanks, but no thanks.
We drove back to Jake's workplace and found a picnic table outside in the shade where we could eat the food that he had ordered in the cafeteria for all of us. The kids mostly wanted to explore and look for insects, ha ha, but they did manage to eat a few bites of food.
Video of Maisie before bedtime (note the hives on her face - poor thing): (22 seconds)
We did a little more research about Maisie's hives, and read that it was most likely a viral infection, rather than a reaction to something she'd eaten. The Zyrtec worked wonders for the next several days and we were very impressed with the product. She woke up one morning with hives all over her face and her torso and she looked so miserable. But within just a few minutes of taking the Zyrtec, the hives completely disappeared!
After I left, Jake and Hannah learned that Maisie and her delicate skin + "ecosystem" just did not favor the heat and humidity of Springfield. Thus, the external hives and strong reaction. She already had sensitive skin to begin with, but now they will have to watch out for her being outside for too long in the heat of the day, or sitting in her carseat after the car has been closed up and in the hot sun. Her body just doesn't like it - and who would!?? Bless her tiny little heart.
Saturday, July 11th: If I didn't mention this before, Jake works for Bass Pro Shops now as an analytical engineer. One of the things he does is to analyze data from all of their outlet stores, to see what people are buying and to what extent. He then converts that information into whatever tools the "higher ups" need to make crucial business decisions. He does a bunch of other cool things, too. I just can't remember what they are . . .
Since it was the weekend, Jake took us all to see some of the exhibits that Bass Pro Shops has to offer as part of their world headquarters. We started with the Wonders of Wildlife Aquarium.
They had already bought a season (or annual?) pass for the whole family for about $75. My one-time entry fee was $45. There's some math for ya . . .
Video of the sting-ray pool down below - Jack is saying, "We go down to the sting rays at the last."
(6 seconds) https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z5x8AgXooNtT5mgM9
A modern-day inventor by the name of William Shakespeare, Jr. - who helped to create more innovative rods and reels for fishermen (and women) . . .
The jellyfish were so magical and hypnotizing . . .
Video: (11 seconds) https://photos.app.goo.gl/k3w3nU69aucTTf4K8
Video of a big and scary shark swimming around: (13 seconds)
Video of a large stingray: (14 seconds)
And the largest, grumpiest crab I've ever seen: (11 seconds)
At last, we made it to the stingray pool that we saw earlier . . .
Video of Jake, Hannah, Maisie, and Jack: (15 seconds)
Jack and I hung out for several minutes, reaching down and petting the stingrays as they gracefully glided by. They felt "slickery", for lack of a better word. Velvety soft and almost slimey - without being slimey.
Adjacent to the stingray pool was a really fun crafty area for the whole family. Once you've colored a shark page with whatever colors you choose, then you can scan the page and watch for your "shark" to swim by on the massive movie wall above. They've got a digital scanner to project it onto the wall like a movie screen. So fun!!
Next, Jake took us around the corner to Hemingway's, a fancy restaurant associated with Bass Pro. Johnny Morris, the founder of Bass Pro Shops, was inspired by Ernest Hemingway and his life as an outdoor enthusiast, plus he was a pioneer of big-game saltwater fishing. Who knew?
Not only did I find a ballcap, but I found THREE cute ones, including one for Scott. Hannah and I both fell in love with the exact same buttery yellow sweatshirt (for FALL of course), plus we found a couple of cute t-shirts for the kids. I beat Jake to the punch when it came time to pay for our loot, by whipping out my Visa well ahead of him. Ha HAH. Take that.
Maisie on the way home . . .
I decided to take a photo of the kids' dinner platters that evening because it just demonstrates how wonderful and caring my son is as a father. Not only is he the main chef - and loves to fill that role - but he makes those little kid plates look so pretty and fun . . .
They have a great ward there in Springfield. Yes, the ward is a little older in age for the most part. Jake's estimate is that 70% of the members are above the age of 50. But they are so friendly and cheerful and kindhearted. I think they will be in very good hands there. It's like there are100 extra "grandparents" that are ready and willing to help!
Jack and me after church . . . Wolfie wanted a selfie with us, but he was way too energetic and bouncy to hold still for the photo.
Sadly, my time in Springfield was coming to an end after just a few fun-filled days. But it gave me a nice taste of what life will be like when I come back in the fall, just before the new baby arrives. I'll be flying back on November 20th, a little less than 2 weeks before the baby is due on December 3rd. And then I'll stay through Christmas to help some more, with Scott joining us for a week or so between Christmas and New Year's.
As Jake drove me to the airport that afternoon, I kept blinking back the tears as we chatted during the drive. I was so grateful to have spent all that precious time with Jack and Maisie, and I didn't want to leave. I can still hear Jack quoting some fun facts about this species or that (plus he can READ on his own now!!). And I can still hear Maisie in her excited voice, "Hey Grandma!!" She doesn't really know what to say after that, ha ha, but she loves to say, "Hey Grandma!!"
My (adopted) daughter Chelsea picked me up and brought me back to her place to spend the night. We had the BEST time!!!
Monday, July 13th: Chelsea works from home, mainly in her back bedroom/office because she is often on phone calls. I slept in a little, and when I made my way out to the kitchen for breakfast, I found this adorable little note and meal setup.
This is a project she's been working on lately - a terracotta saucer for a large flower pot. So pretty!!
When she had a break from work, we took her dog Carol for a walk in the neighborhood before coming back to chat for a while. She wanted to know more about our family history, with a couple of specific goals in mind.
1. She wanted to know which of my ancestors I feel closest to, and why. I told her stories about Grandma Zoe and Grandpa Linton. And then I helped her get set up with a username on FamilySearch so she could see all the photos, stories, and even AUDIO files that have been uploaded to Grandma Doris' profile. She can hear her telling stories in her OWN VOICE!
Within two shakes of a lamb's tail, Chelsea had logged in, added her own name and info, as well as added in my info and my parents' info. THEN, we could connect her to the ancestors that have already passed away, such as Grandma Zoe, Grandpa Linton, and Grandma Doris. She was so happy to be able to connect to all of these people that she has DNA from.
I ended up sharing story after story with her about experiences that I've had with my deceased ancestors. Spiritual experiences. We both cried over how special each story was.
She asked me how might she be able to discern better if someone (from heaven) is trying to reach out to her, expressing that she thinks I have a definite gift for discernment. I haven't been asked that question before, but my answer basically was:
Try to have more moments where your mind isn't cluttered with loud music, chatter, or other distractions. Pay attention to a sudden feeling that hits you, no matter where you are at the time. If it's a feeling like You are so loved, or I am here with you, or You are so wonderful, or even just a feeling of sudden JOY or PEACE or REASSURANCE or COMFORT, it could be someone paying you a visit.
Sometimes, when all is quiet, and I'm doing something mundane - but still relaxing - like washing the dishes, I often feel like Grandma Zoe is standing nearby.
Grandpa Linton pops in from time to time, usually to share his joy in how I am caring for my family members. He wants me to know that I'm doing a good job. :)
My mother-in-law Coy pops in all the time, sometimes in the most random of places, too. For whatever reason, she decided to come hang out with me in the freezer aisle at the Emisfero grocery store in Vicenza not too long ago. I was in the aisle all by myself, and all of a sudden I felt a whoosh of energy, and a powerful feeling that made me immediately cry. When I paused to consider who it might be, I knew almost instantly it was her. She loved to meal-plan and cook for the people she loves, so maybe that's why she came to hang out with me at the grocery store. Plus, everyone else in the family was still asleep in the U.S. at the time, so maybe I was her only option, ha ha.
Anyway, Chelsea appreciated me sharing these special insights with her. I told her that our family in heaven are very aware of us, and they want to help us and encourage us through the ups and downs of life. They cheer for us, they mourn with us, and they are close. Closer than we might think. They will not invade our privacy, but they do want us to know that they are there.
My big push in family history lately is that it is so important to acknowledge our ancestors and to SAY THEIR NAME. When we say their name, we are remembering them and passing their stories on to the next generation. When we stop saying their name and stop sharing their stories, they will be forgotten. And I don't want to do that.
2. She wanted me to tell her the story of the day she was born (for the second time). I told her once, several years ago, but she wanted to hear it again. So on the way out to the airport, we held hands as she drove, with both of us crying a few times. I told her all about how she came into this world and how I had to let her go. Our short time together (during this recent visit) was the sweetest less-than-24-hours I have ever spent.
We didn't want to let go of each other at the airport . . . XOXO
I am so excited for when they fly over to this part of the world in September. We are gonna have the BEST TIME. We will meet in Slovenia during Labor Day weekend, and then they will come back to Vicenza with me for a few days. The tail end of their trip will be down in Florence, and they'll fly home to Denver from there.
I ate a shrimpy caesar salad before boarding my flight to Munich . . .
My in-flight meals were "okay" . . . The chicken thigh tasted fine, but you had to pick around to get the meat off the bones, so that wasn't super fun. The orzo and veggies in red sauce was really good, but full of naughty carbs at the same time. The cheesecake was great, of course.
On my last leg from Munich to Venice, this poor dad across the aisle from me . . . wow. He was OUT like a light before we even left the ground, mouth wide open and everything. Meanwhile, his wife, who was seated in the row in front of him, cared for both their baby boy and their young daughter, even though the little girl was sitting next to her daddy. Bless their hearts. Being a parent is not an easy job, but it's all worth it in the end.
After landing in Venice, I somehow managed to get my luggage and dash out to the shuttle bus with about 5 seconds to spare before it drove away . . . Meanwhile, Scott was sitting in his car at Del Din, on standby to come pick me up if I missed the shuttle. But because I made it in the nick of time, he went back to work for a bit and then walked down the street to help me with my luggage when I arrived a little over an hour later.
I don't remember much of that drive on the bus . . . I definitely had some head-bobbing going on, ha ha.
Also, it took me a lot longer than usual to recover from this trip. I think it was because of all the hard work we did for 2+ weeks, plus everything else. Not to mention getting no sleep on the flights - again. About one full week after I got back to Vicenza is when I felt like I had enough energy to get through my day. And I've been off and running ever since!
I'm currently in Blaubeuren, Germany, where I've been staying since Monday. I helped to accompany a busload of teenagers up to a youth conference for the week. I'll be home around dinner time on Saturday.
Next blog post:
All about my trip to Germany, including a very special afternoon in Ofterdingen, the land of my German ancestors. XOXO









































































Comments
Post a Comment